19 April 2013

Donna Hay's Osso Buco

So I dived into the depths of my freezer a few nights ago. This freezer is like a deep, dark mystery cave in which one never knows what they will unearth. I found many things, but some Osso Buco took my fancy (purchased at reduced price and promptly frozen for later use of course). I felt the need to hang on too the last strings of winter comfort food before I dive headlong into summer eating habits. These things just loose their appeal when it's melting outside. Though, the weather today would suggest winter is still on our tails - and I got so excited marching around in my (short) shorts yesterday!

My mission became finding what to do with this Osso Buco. I wasn't feeling tomato based dishes so (unfortunately) the Jamie Oliver and Women's Weekly were out. Donna Hay won by a nose and THANK GOODNESS she did. It's heaven in a casserole pot! Of course my version has been varied a little from the original thanks to lack of kitchenware (namely a 'heavy-based, ovenproof saucepan) and smaller amount of ingredients.

It's to delightful to keep to myself, so get casserolling while you still can!

Image from www.donnahay.com.au
  • 2 or 3 pieces osso buco (original calls for 8 - veal osso buco is also good)
  • pepper
  • cornflour (original uses plain flour, but my mother's always said cornflour is better - smoother and thus creamer)
  • olive oil (for browning, so its essentially optional)
  • 1 onion, chopped as desired (mines done finely)
  • 1 garlic clove (add an extra if you're making more)
  • 1x sprig rosemary
  • 1x handful chopped parsley
  • 1/2 tbsp brown sugar (full spoon in original)
  • splash balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste (uses 1/4 cup in original)
  • 1 cup beef stock (2 in original)
  • 1 cup red wine (2 in original)
Preheat oven to 180C. Season meat and dust with cornflour, shaking off excess. Heat oil in large fry pan (this is where the ovenproof saucepan would come in) and brown meat over high heat. Set aside.

Fry onion and garlic till soft (about 5 mins). Combine herbs, sugar, vinegar, paste, stock and wine in casserole (if using ovenproof saucepan do it in that and keep it over the heat.) I also added 1 1/2 tbsp cornflour - I like thick gravy!

Add onion and meat to casserole, cover and cook in the oven for 1 1/2 hours until tender and sauce has thickened. Stir it occasionally to stop things settling to the bottom and sticking. 
Serve it over mashed potato or polenta with some nice, bright in-season green veg. 

No comments:

Post a Comment